kiem tien, kiem tien online, kiem tien truc tuyen, kiem tien tren mang
Sunday 3 June 2012

Milo (Chocolate Malt) Marshmallows
My love of Milo is well-documented. The chocolatey, malty hot drink instantly transports me back to Malaysia and my childhood, when my Mum would make it for me late at night or first thing in the morning. It only seemed fitting that I would have a Milo-flavoured dessert at my wedding. When Linda suggested that she might make some homemade milo marshmallows for my wedding favours table, I knew it had to be done. I ended up making them myself because I was using baking as a relaxation tool during the week before my wedding. It sorta worked.
Milo (Chocolate Malt) Marshmallows
As I've explained before, homemade marshmallows are a hundred million times better than store-bought marshmallows. I just love how fluffy they are.  These marshmallows might not be much to look at but they taste SO good. Super Milo-y. Most of the flavour comes from the dusting of Milo powder on the outside of the marshmallows, but there is a little bit mixed into the marshmallow itself. The powder creates a delicious chocolate malt crust on the outside of these soft pillows, making them incredibly addictive.
Milo (Chocolate Malt) Marshmallows
They are even better melted into a cup of hot coffee or warm milk, or even a cup of Milo. I know that sounds like it might be Milo overload, but if you know how Malaysians drink their Milo then you would know there is no such thing as too much. Just try a Milo Dinosaur or Godzilla if you don't believe me. I am writing this post well in advance of the weekend because I'm not quite insane enough to try and bake/blog on the same weekend that I will be getting married. (But I am insane enough to spend tomorrow churning out batches of macarons for my favours table.) By the time you read this I'll be hitched and spending the next week relaxing! Unfortunately I'll have to wait all the way until September for my honeymoon :( Anyway, see you on the other side!
Milo (Chocolate Malt) Marshmallows
Milo Marshmallows (Chocolate Malt Marshmallows)
(makes about 50 marshmallows, adapted from my Oreo Marshmallows)
400g (about 1 3/4 cup) sugar
1 tbsp liquid glucose (usually available in baking aisle at supermarket, you could probably replace with light corn syrup if you can't get this)
2 tbsp gelatine powder
2 large egg whites
3 tbsp Milo powder (or Ovaltine, or half cocoa/half malted milk powder)
Vegetable oil (or melted butter)
1 cup Milo powder + 1/2 cup cornflour (cornstarch)

Grease and line the base and sides with baking paper in a 24x32cm lamington tray, or two 20cm square cake tins. Place sugar, glucose and 200ml water in a small saucepan. Place on low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Place 200ml cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatine powder over it and set aside to soften. Increase heat on saucepan to medium-high and insert a sugar thermometer. Boil for 3-5 minutes, until sugar thermometer reaches 120°C (250°F). Remove from the heat and carefully add gelatine to mixture and whisk until gelatine dissolves and no lumps remain (if you are worried about this step you can heat the bowl of gelatine over a pot of simmering water first to make it smoother).

Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl and start beating with an electric mixer with a whisk attachment on high speed. Gradually add hot sugar syrup to the egg white while mixing, if you are using a hand mixer you should beat your egg whites to a stiff peak before you start adding the syrup, but it works fine to add it as soon as you start beating the egg in a stand mixer. Beat until mixture is glossy and white, about 5 minutes on a stand mixer and closer to 10 with a hand mixer. Add 3 tbsp Milo powder and beat again until combined. Before mixture starts to cool too much, pour mixture into prepared tin and use a spatula to quickly smooth top. Leave to set at room temperature overnight. Cut into 3-4cm squares. Mix milo powder and cornflour together in a large baking try and roll marshmallows in it. Place on a piece of baking paper to dry for at least a few hours (you may need to re-dust the outside after an hour), then store in an airtight container. Best eaten within two days.
Milo (Chocolate Malt) Marshmallows

0 comments:

Post a Comment

domain, domain name, premium domain name for sales

Popular Posts