kiem tien, kiem tien online, kiem tien truc tuyen, kiem tien tren mang
Wednesday 20 January 2010

orangefennelcakes
It's funny to remember what a fussy child I was. I hardly ate anything, believing that I didn't like most things without even really trying them, and my Mum gave up pretty early on trying to push me to try new things. But then I moved to Sydney to live with my brother, and very quickly learnt that if I didn't want to starve, I would have to eat whatever he made for me.
orangefennelcakes-4
Thanks to my brother, I rejoice in the discovery of a unique, exciting flavour on my tastebuds, strong ones that would have made me wrinkle my nose when I was younger. It probably has something to do with getting older and getting less sensitive tastebuds I suppose. One of those flavours that I'm slowly learning to love is the anise/liquorice flavour. Star anise is one of my absolute favourite ingredients to add to any meat dishes, and I'm starting to be obsessed with fennel and aniseed. On our food tour of Surry Hills a while back, I randomly picked up some colourful sugar-coated fennel seeds at the Indian grocery store. These are usually used like breath mints after a meal (and apparently fennel seeds help to aid digestion) and I love them. And being me, I couldn't look at the beautiful colours of the coated fennel seeds without thinking, 'Cupcake decorations!".
orangefennelcakes-10
So here's something a little different. I used a moist french yoghurt cake recipe that I tested out a long time ago on this blog, but paired it with an orange buttercream rather than a marmalade glaze. The addition of fennel seeds in the batter infuses it with a very light, fragrant aroma of anise, not the least bit overpowering. Even if you don't like liquorice, you will like these. I've had this recipe waiting in the sidelines for a while, I made it for my brother's birthday but then all the hectic Christmas baking came straight after it. I mucked up the buttercream slightly when I made it for him, but have since improved it. But it seems appropriate to try something new on my brother, since he's the one who taught me to get over my silly fears.

Fennel Seed & Orange Cupcakes
(adapted from this Dorie Greenspan recipe)
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup almond meal (can replace with another 1/2 cup plain flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup flavorless oil, such canola or safflower (I used about 2 tbsp less of this)
1 tsp fennel seeds
orangefennelcakes-6
For the buttercream:
125g unsalted butter, softened slightly
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tsp orange zest
1 tbsp sugar-coated (or regular) fennel seeds to sprinkle on top (available at Indian grocery stores)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Put the sugar and zest in a medium bowl and rub the zest into the sugar with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and aromatic.
orangefennelcakes-7
Add the yogurt, eggs and vanilla and whisking vigorously until the mixture is very well blended. Still whisking, add the dry ingredients, then switch to a large rubber spatula and fold in the oil. You'll have a thick, smooth batter with a slight sheen. Spoon batter into a lined cupcake tray, filling it about 3/4 full.
orangefennelcakes-9
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
orangefennelcakes-12
orangefennelcakes-11
Beat butter at high speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Sift icing sugar into bowl, then beat in orange juice.
orangefennelcakes-13
Pipe or spoon on to top of cakes and then sprinkle a pinch of candied fennel seeds on top. Can be stored for several days in an airtight container.
orangefennelcakes-2

0 comments:

Post a Comment

domain, domain name, premium domain name for sales

Popular Posts