kiem tien, kiem tien online, kiem tien truc tuyen, kiem tien tren mang
Thursday 16 December 2010

While all of you are making the most beautiful Christmas cookies and yummy treats I am still stuck in the last cake orders of the year, this weekend I will finish the last orders and then I am off for a long break.
Last weekend I made a Baby Shower cake with a ladybug and dragonfly theme, and I thought the dragonflies would look really nice "flying" on top of the cake. And when I say flying... please don't think  some how I put  a motor under the cake the would spin around the dragonflies, my cake skills are not there yet. But I did use some wire, which I have seeing  in other cake designs requiring some type of "flying" look.

Photobucket


For the dragonflies I used a mix of fondant and gumpaste 50%-50%
  • I rolled the fondant thin and using a dragonfly cookie cutter I cut the shape of the dragonfly.
  • Using an exacto knife I removed the body and the head because I wanted  to do a more 3 D shape with the body.
  • To bring some texture to the wings I rolled a piece of white fondant and using a knife I cut a tear drop  shape, if you have a tear drop cutter feel free to use it, I just don't have it.
Photobucket


  • I cut a square piece of cardboard and parchment paper to lay the dragonfly on it and give the wings some movement.
  • Using a paintbrush  with a dab of water I attached the white mini wing details on top of the pink wings.

Photobucket


  •  For the dragonfly body, I just rolled a piece of fondant in a long sausage shape making sure I was forming a head and a little round belly (yes, dragonflies also have love handles)
  • I used a toothpick to make  indentations in the top of the body

Photobucket



  •  I attached the body to the wings with a dab of water and then I inserted an 18 gauge wire under the dragonfly body (ouch!)
  • At this point the dragonfly figure was very soft, so I set it aside to dry for one day on top of my kitchen cart

Photobucket


I always like to dust my sugar figures with pear dust, for this one I used a shimmering pink. Well I hope you find this tutorial useful to use in one of your future cakes.
Photobucket
Thank you for stopping by and have a great weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

domain, domain name, premium domain name for sales

Popular Posts